Achilles Tendonitis vs. Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion about general, non-diagnosed, Heel Pain.

Achilles Tendonitis vs. Plantar Fasciitis

Postby StevenHB on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:22 am

I'm pretty sure that I have either plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. My first step in the morning is painful with the pain reducing thereafter, which I know is a classic PF symptom. However, the pain is in my heel - in the area just "up" from the bottom of my foot. It can be on either side of my heel but definitely not on the bottom.

I exercise regularly, but haven't significantly increased my workouts and I'm not doing anything crazy. I play tennis once or twice a week. Similarly once or twice a week, I'll run on a treadmill at the gym for two miles. Other days, I'll use the bike or eliptical machine (today, for instance, I did one mile in 8:00 followed by 30 minutes on a recumbant bike). Once or twice a week, I do weights, half of the time focusing on lower body (squats, lunges, toe lifts, reverse toe lifts seem the most relevant to this question).

How do I determine which issue it is? For the PF, I know that I want to stretch the plantar fascia, calf, and achilles if it's PF. But if it's AT, I want to allow the achilles to rest and repair itself.

Thoughts?
StevenHB

Re: Achilles Tendonitis vs. Plantar Fasciitis

Postby shamrockfan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 am

It's hard to say, I'm not a doctor. My doctor told me that I have more than one related condition. If exercise is aggrivating it, a doctor will tell you to rest it for awhile. I would find a good orthopedic surgeon and get an opinion. They can also start you on some exercises and supports to help with your condition. Don't let it wait too long or the symptoms could get worse and start involving your knees.

Cheryl
shamrockfan

Re: Achilles Tendonitis vs. Plantar Fasciitis

Postby Kaelyn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm

In all honesty it's probalby both. but your calf muscles definitely involved. Stretching isn't enough. You must use some form of neuro-muscular re-education to re-train the muscle to the longer length. Night splints and arch supports help, but the biggest issue is typically ankle mobility and mechanics. Get that taken care of and your pain will go away.

Kaelyn
Kaelyn

Return to General Heel Pain